In the top left photo is what Brickell Key looked like in 1975. When Henry Flagler started dredging the Miami River in 1896, the silt was dumped in one location it created two islands. Residents in Brickell, including Mary Brickell were not happy because it blocked their views of Biscayne Bay. In 1943, Edward Claughton purchased the islands and combined them into a triangular 44 acre island which we see today. Over time the island was undeveloped and the bridge to the island from Brickell was built in 1975, which can be seen in the photo. Today, the island has many high rise condos and the five star hotel Mandarin Oriental.